Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day rubbish

I'm not sure I should share my thoughts on Valentine's Day. I know loads of people think it's great, make a real effort and celebrate it properly. I am not one of them. 

I've never liked it. It has always seemed like madness to me that you're only allowed to buy flowers on this one day of the year. Heads up guys, they're cheaper on other days, and there are some flowers that are nicer than roses! In fact... Surprise flowers on, oh I don't know, 12 June, would be lovely! (Unless it's a birthday... Pick another day!) 

It always seemed bizarre that people want to buy chocolates on Valentine's Day. Again, they're available all year round I'm pretty sure, so guess what... Buy them another day! And I don't know about you, but a box of chocolates makes me feel a bit sick so the novelty wears off pretty quickly. And I prefer savoury so if someone would just buy me crisps then I'd be way happier. 

And don't even get me started on the tacky Valentine's underwear. If Nick ever bought me any of that we'd be finished. 

There are some lovely traditions. I like the idea of kids making cards at school. I like cake sales for charity. But Valentines crap is so expensive it feels like people are forced into making an effort. 

I am probably just writing this because Nick has been summoned to Geneva for work, he got the call just yesterday. I'm probably just pissed because every time we have plans on a weekend his work seem to want him to do something - and because he's the one without kids and lives on his own, they think he doesn't have any commitments. I'm not annoyed because it valentines day. I'm annoyed because I just don't see him enough. 

V Day means nothing to me. Going to an overpriced restaurant because that's what you're supposed to do is just wrong. I'd rather be in bed at 9pm watching Die Hard by myself.... Well isn't that a coincidence! 

Tell people you love them all year round. Show them with gestures, not overpriced pink crap. Spend time together and bloody enjoy life when you want to, not just on 14 February. 

1 comment: